Thursday, October 29, 2009
2 quarts apple cider
1 1/2 cups orange juice
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground cloves
1.In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve hot in mugs.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Whole Food's 5 After 5
Every Friday Night
5 After 5
5:00-7:00 p.m. $5 per person
Join us every Friday for 5 amazing wines and 5 unbelievable great tasting hors d'oeuvres. This is a great night out with your friends and loved ones. Includes wine glass, wine, and lite bites. Bring your Whole Foods Market wine glass back in during another tasting and receive $1 off at the door!!
5 after 5 Themes
October 9th ~ Tailgate Party
October 16th ~ Italian
October 23rd ~ Fall Harvest, Vegetarian
October 30th ~ Halloween Surprise!! Halloween Costume Contest...judging will start at 6pm!!
Check out your local Whole Foods calender for events just like this one. They are usually free or inexpensive, if there is a cost. I always enjoy great food and wine in the company of my honey!! After 5 really generous glasses of wine, I am usually nice and ... shall we say....bubbly...
My favorite scarf to wear, the one that makes me feel fun and vibrant is this beautiful mulberry color. My favorite ultra fine sharpie I use at work when marking up samples is mulberry. So it was only natural that I fell in love with... No Spain No Gain from OPI's new Spain Collection!!
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Dr. Seuss Party!!!
I am still doing my research and deciding on some key elements. The menu I'm sure will include green eggs and ham !! This is going to be a very colorful very whimsical celebration full of rhymes and tongue twisters. We may even have a special appearance by The Cat and The Hat...stay tuned for photos of the event!!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
One of my absolute favorite things to do is cook and entertain family and friends. I sometimes can go a little overboard when planning gatherings, and have been known to plan kid's birthday parties that are a bit over the top. I'm told all the time "they will not remember when they are older"- but who cares...I will (that's what cameras are for...)!!!
Well a little over a year ago I stumbled upon a super fantastic store that I just have to share with you...my readers. TRADER JOE's has the most delicious food and wine selection I have ever seen and to top it all off ....the prices are unbelievable!! I can do my normal weekday shopping and find just what I need and I can plan my party menu right in the middle of the store. If you have a Trader Joe's close to you I would challenge you to take a browse...and even sample what they have to offer...their coffee is fantastic and goodness there desserts are to die for... Check out my top 10 lists!! (I should own stock in this store)
Everyday Deans: Everyday Favs
- OJ- $1.99- it is the best OJ my Mr. D has said he tasted and for the price we keep it stocked.
- Nonfat French Vanilla Yogurt- $2.99 and Praline Cluster granola-$2.49 - the boys love this yogurt and beg for the granola, it's a healthy snack on the weekends
- Eggs-$.99- for all my baking of course
- Low Fat String Cheese- easy to grab on the go, both the boys and I love it!
- Honey Nut O's- their version of Honey Nut ...other the popular brand...I say these taste better and come at a better price!!
- Almond Milk- for those of us that can't tolerate the lactose
- Chicken Broth- the base to many meals
- Breakfast Bars- on those busy days
- Fruit- they have an awesome selections of fruit and veggies
- Frozen Foods- I love all their frozen veggies, the spinach and broccoli are awesome! I even love their frozen burritos, rice, seafood, pizzas, waffles, fruit for smoothies. I love it all!
Downhome With The Deans: Entertaining
- Blood Orange Italian Soda
- Beer- All their beer is amazing. They sell some name brand but many TJ's brands that are delicious. Currently we like the Pumpkin Lager!!!
- Wine- they have a large selection of champagne and wine that range from 2 Buck Chuck to bottles over $50!!
- Spinach Dip and pita chips- this is in the frozen aisle and is great to have on hand for those unexpected guest. (Note: Their frozen aisle have tons of prepared appetizers for any party)
- Goddess Salad dressing- It's a mix, I would say, between Ranch and Italian...it is so delicious just by itself on bag salad
- Premium Ice cream- enough said
- Desserts/Breads- their dessert table is always a hit, from their apple pie to their small dessert assortment. I love their french bread to make all my different bruschetta recipes.
- Hummus- I love hummus and it is great for parties!!!
- Corn Salsa- spicy and sweet, a very unexpected favorite!!
- Popcorn- Kettle Corn/ Olive Oil- Can you say movie night!
Right now, for a limited time, they have all their Fall foods in store. I recommend the pumpkin bread mix, pumpkin butter, apple bread mix, pumpkin pancake mix, beer bread mix, stuffing, and so much more...(picture taken from TJ's website)
Find the store nearest you, I promise you will LOVE it: http://www.traderjoes.com/static/about_us.html
Here are my TOP TEN fabulous favs:
- Curly Wurly Shampoo-Coconut and vanilla to tame unruly curls
- Grease Lightening Facial Cleanser-Spot cleanse acne prone skin
- Catastrophie Cosmetic/Cupcake Fresh Face Masks (only in stores- Mask of Magniminty if you only can buy online)
- Ocean Salt Scrub-Vodka margarita exfoliates and cleanses tired skin
- Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter (I use this all over)- Softens stubbornly scaly skin wherever it may hide
- Yummy Yummy Shower Gel-Fresh strawberries and honey leave skin deliciously soft
- All Massage Bars- Mange Too-Honey and white chocolate massage bar sweeps you away, being my favorite
- Candy Fluff Dusting Powder- Livens up lackluster skin with candy-scented sweetness
- The Comforter Bubble Bar- Velvety berry and cream bath parfait softens skin with lavish bubbles
- Buffy Body Butter-Exfoliating body butter to reveal silky, touchable skin
You can check out all their products at http://www.lushusa.com/shop
Friday, October 16, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
These two albums are in heavy rotation right now!! I play them on my iPod, in the car, and in the house. They both allow my mind and heart to flutter with patience, kindness, hope, excitement...but specifically LOVE. I am relaxed and I can unwind. I am in LOVE.
(pics taken from amazon.com)
Monday, October 12, 2009
Mom, Mommy, Mama, Ma
Dad, Daddy, Dada, Pa, Pop
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Long term, team players needed, for challenging, permanent work in an often chaotic environment.
Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call.
Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in far away cities!
Travel expenses not reimbursed.
Extensive courier duties also required..
The rest of your life.
Must be willing to be hated, at least temporarily, until someone needs $5.
Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly..
Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat in case, this time, the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.
Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.
Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects..
Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks.
Must be a willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment the next.
Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices.
Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst..
Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product.
Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.
POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION :
Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE :
None required unfortunately.
On-the-job training offered on a continually exhausting basis.
WAGES AND COMPENSATION :
Get this! You pay them!
Offering frequent raises and bonuses.
A balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption that college will help them become financially independent.
When you die, you give them whatever is left.
The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you actually enjoy it and only wish you could do more.
While no health or dental insurance , no pension, no tuition reimbursement , no paid holidays and no stock options are offered; this job supplies limitless opportunities for personal growth, unconditional love, and free hugs and kisses for life if you play your cards right.
Forward this on to all the PARENTS you know, in appreciation for everything they do on a daily basis, letting them know they are appreciated for the fabulous job they do...or forward with love to anyone thinking of applying for the job.
** AND A FOOTNOTE 'THERE IS NO RETIREMENT -- EVER!!!
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Oprah Winfrey wrote: “My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983, I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here.” And it’s clear she did. Her story is so familiar to the millions of men, women and children all across Chicago who’ve made it their home. This is a city that makes it easy to find your own place. Chicago has never stopped re-imagining itself, never stopped working to be something more wonderful tomorrow than what it was today. People from nearly every nation in the world come here and call themselves Chicagoans. And they do that not because a stroke of a pen or a rubber stamp makes this a reality. It’s the heart of a people drawn together by a diversity of experience and a need to see what comes next. (www.chicago2016.org)
There has been much news coverage about all the violence going on in Chicago but they have began the process of getting the bid to host the 2016 Olympics. I love Chicago (it's my favorite place to visit) for it's diverse, fun loving, big city attitude, yet smooth Midwestern vibe! President Obama is rallying and campaigning and many other notable celebrities for the U.S. city to win the bid!