My photo
I LOVE cooking from recipes, and making up meals, I LOVE spending time with my boys (all three) and entertaining my family and friends, I LOVE bargain shopping (vintage stores included), I LOVE flipping through fashion and design mags, I LOVE the smell of libraries and how often I could get lost there, I LOVE scanning realty websites, I LOVE Trader Joes and LUSH, I LOVE fresh flowers and all four seasons, I LOVE Cincinnati and am always ready to travel, I LOVE stationary and stamps, I LOVE diamonds and pearls, tulle and lace, I LOVE smelling coffee and drinking tea, I love marshmallows and chocolate, I LOVE cozy sheets and morning sunshine, I LOVE me and I love GOD!

Archives

Daily Reads


Master Tre'

Master Roman

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chicago 2016



Oprah Winfrey wrote: “My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983, I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here.” And it’s clear she did. Her story is so familiar to the millions of men, women and children all across Chicago who’ve made it their home. This is a city that makes it easy to find your own place. Chicago has never stopped re-imagining itself, never stopped working to be something more wonderful tomorrow than what it was today. People from nearly every nation in the world come here and call themselves Chicagoans. And they do that not because a stroke of a pen or a rubber stamp makes this a reality. It’s the heart of a people drawn together by a diversity of experience and a need to see what comes next. (www.chicago2016.org)

There has been much news coverage about all the violence going on in Chicago but they have began the process of getting the bid to host the 2016 Olympics. I love Chicago (it's my favorite place to visit) for it's diverse, fun loving, big city attitude, yet smooth Midwestern vibe! President Obama is rallying and campaigning and many other notable celebrities for the U.S. city to win the bid!
Do you think Chicago has a chance or will Madrid, Tokyo or Rio de Janeiro take the GOLD? Do you think this will help boost our economy?
xoxo
Ronita

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, being in the city, I have mixed emotions. I love my city very much. It is a hub of culture, excitement, and not to mention asthetic beauty that can NOT be rivaled by any city. Period. However, to only see the glamourous side of Chicago is to do an almost inhuman diservice to the less glamorous sides. The segregation, the violence, the poor allocation of public funds, and the apathy to covers our communities. It's not an opinoin, it's a fact. If the olympics come to Chicago, the U.S., many people (affluent or otherwise) will benefit. Yet, many will suffer. Many will be ignored and several needs will be swept under the rug in an effort to make Chicago more appealing. I definately support the bid. I think that it will be fun and exciting and a great opportunity. Yet, Chicago needs so much attention, that it's almost a crime to focus all the city's energy on the Olympics (which is where it is at this point). I do see that much of our resources are tied up in this. When we don't have enought money to legally staff teachers, have computers, etc. It raises an eyebrow.

I just want to remind people that 85% of the people in this city will not be able to benefit, participate, or even SEE the olympics when or if it comes to Chicago. Just as they are rarely apart of many of the other treasures this city holds; the forgotten many will keep struggling through their days just trying make a way. They will try to cope until there is a big deal made out of them.

Just an FYI.
Barbie