My photo
I LOVE cooking from recipes, and making up meals, I LOVE spending time with my boys (all three) and entertaining my family and friends, I LOVE bargain shopping (vintage stores included), I LOVE flipping through fashion and design mags, I LOVE the smell of libraries and how often I could get lost there, I LOVE scanning realty websites, I LOVE Trader Joes and LUSH, I LOVE fresh flowers and all four seasons, I LOVE Cincinnati and am always ready to travel, I LOVE stationary and stamps, I LOVE diamonds and pearls, tulle and lace, I LOVE smelling coffee and drinking tea, I love marshmallows and chocolate, I LOVE cozy sheets and morning sunshine, I LOVE me and I love GOD!

Archives

Daily Reads


Master Tre'

Master Roman

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Parenting: Mommy what color am I?


(via)

The time has come where my little Tre' (6 years old) realizes and verbalizes that he sees a difference between the color of his skin compared to that of his classmates. He even recognizes that he is a different shade of color compared to me and my mom. I love his innocence when choosing a crayon to use to color in his face versus a classmate he has drawn or even mine for that matter.

 I am so excitined for him to discover the differences that are in people, not only in the color of their skin but their traditions, their heritage and even for him to understand that although people are different we are all equal and loved by God.

I thought maybe if I get some really beautifully illustrated books that might help with our discussion.
Here are some I found and ordered off Amazon.







Shout out to one of my really good friends, Emily, who gifted Roman with this book for his 2nd birthday!! We are going to crack this one open tonight.



Do you have any books, songs, strategies or words of wisdom when it comes to talking about race and ethnicity with your children?


Looking forward to hearing them!

xoxo,
Ronita



1 comment:

Mom said...

So nice. I have a book at home that might be nice to use for our talks withTre’!