My photo
I LOVE cooking from recipes, and making up meals, I LOVE spending time with my boys (all three) and entertaining my family and friends, I LOVE bargain shopping (vintage stores included), I LOVE flipping through fashion and design mags, I LOVE the smell of libraries and how often I could get lost there, I LOVE scanning realty websites, I LOVE Trader Joes and LUSH, I LOVE fresh flowers and all four seasons, I LOVE Cincinnati and am always ready to travel, I LOVE stationary and stamps, I LOVE diamonds and pearls, tulle and lace, I LOVE smelling coffee and drinking tea, I love marshmallows and chocolate, I LOVE cozy sheets and morning sunshine, I LOVE me and I love GOD!

Archives

Daily Reads


Master Tre'

Master Roman

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

SUPER-food SPOTLIGHT: Honey Please!!!


I am not one to immediately take prescription/over the counter medicine when I am feeling sick. In fact, the first thing I usually do is call my mother to see what “old time” remedy she knows of and if she can’t think of anything I call my grandmother. Recently, I have been on a HONEY kick (it is great for coughs/colds-something my boys seem to keep) because it has so many great benefits!! Known to many as “liquid gold” not only does it taste delicious on warm toast, when added to warm olive oil it makes one decadent and super moisturizing deep conditioner for your hair.

 
HONEY has so many natural benefits…take a look at a few (source)!!!

• Taking organic raw honey is a healthy way to get an energy boost. Its carbohydrates supply us with energy and strength. It can boost your endurance and reduce muscle fatigue.

• Honey is a great aid in relieving morning sickness, reportedly even more effective than traditional soda crackers. It’s also good for sore throats including laryngitis and pharyngitis.

• Honey and cinnamon can help in many areas including relief from bladder infections, arthritis, upset stomach and bad breath. It’s even supposed to be able to slow down hair loss.

• Raw honey can be used as a medication for men with problems of impotence and women with problems related to infertility. Warm raw goat milk and raw honey is believed to increase sperm count considerably.

• A salve made of honey, for diabetic ulcers, has been proven effective when other topical antibiotics are not well tolerated. It can be applied to eczema, canker sores or bleeding gums.

• Honey and apple cider vinegar can be used for many ailments like stomach aches, constipation and even migraines.

• Honey and lemon goes to work in the body shifting the extra fat stores, thus making it usable energy for regular body functions. And, honey is cholesterol-free. It reportedly can even help to keep cholesterol levels in check

• Raw honey has a viscous texture due to its low water content. It also establishes a poor environment for bad bacteria to grow, and is a good natural preservative

Honey is antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal, and antibacterial -- it never spoils!

(All photos via aol search)

So the next time you are feeling sick or just want to sweeten up your world add a bit of honey to your life! When you buy honey try to make sure it’s organic raw and (preferably locally farmed)-not from the little store brand bears (sad…I know they are so cute).

Honey PLEASE!!!

xoxo,
Ronita

*I will be doing other health/wellness-food spotlights. Be on the lookout and please share with your people (smile).


No comments: