My photo
I LOVE cooking from recipes, and making up meals, I LOVE spending time with my boys (all three) and entertaining my family and friends, I LOVE bargain shopping (vintage stores included), I LOVE flipping through fashion and design mags, I LOVE the smell of libraries and how often I could get lost there, I LOVE scanning realty websites, I LOVE Trader Joes and LUSH, I LOVE fresh flowers and all four seasons, I LOVE Cincinnati and am always ready to travel, I LOVE stationary and stamps, I LOVE diamonds and pearls, tulle and lace, I LOVE smelling coffee and drinking tea, I love marshmallows and chocolate, I LOVE cozy sheets and morning sunshine, I LOVE me and I love GOD!

Archives

Daily Reads


Master Tre'

Master Roman

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall Recipes: Corn, Mushrooms, Pumpkin


Over the past week I have tried some really yummy fall inspired recipes. I went to my favorite produce store here in Cincinnati  and lucked out on some yummy marked down aka "eat it as soon as you can " produce. Everytime I take a trip there I head straight to the marked down rack. 
This time I found some really yummy treats.

Portabella mushrooms (which I have never cooked before). Corn on the Cob. Apples. Basil and Plantains

Here are 3 recipes I found on allrecipes.com that I tried and love...

Perfect for fall.

APPETIZER


Easy Portabella Mushroom Sautee
Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil
1/4 onion, cut into chunks
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
salt and black pepper to taste
freshly grated Parmesan
freshly grated Asiago cheese

Directions
1.Warm 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and mushrooms; reduce heat to low, and cook until the mushrooms are soft and blackened and the onions are black around the edges. (Add additional olive oil as needed.) Turn the heat off, drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle generously with Parmesan and Asiago cheeses.

MAIN COURSE

Corn and Crab Bisque
Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup onion, chopped
3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
4 ears corn, kernels cut from cob
1/2 cup half-and-half
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
16 ounces fresh lump crabmeat

Directions
1.Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook until soft and translucent. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in garlic, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir corn into boiling broth. Simmer about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low.
2.Remove 1 cup of soup, and set aside to cool slightly. Then pour into a food processor. Pour in half-and-half. Puree for 30 to 45 seconds, and set aside.
3.In a small bowl, stir together flour and milk. Slowly stir into simmering soup. Stirring constantly, simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Then stir in pureed mixture.
4.Reduce heat to low, stir in crab meat, and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.



DESSERT
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
1.Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
2.Add vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts.
3.Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.

Check out some of my other favorite recipes here.


What are some of your favorite fall recipes? Comfort food, desserts?

xoxo,
Ronita

1 comment:

Faith said...

I am going to have to try the Corn and Crab Bisque!